Friday, August 31, 2007

Glass Casting

Last week I tried casting glass for the first time. Victoria, (see previous post) a second year grad in the metals program, has experience with this and offered to teach me how to cast. It was really fun. I can't wait to do it again! My pieces came out super ugly (I am not even posting pictures of the final products). I used a dark brown color glass that just wasn't very attractive, but now I know how to do it and we are already planning our next glass casting event! Here are some images of the experiment.
First, we made molds of what we wanted to cast.

A close up view of Victoria's molds. She was casting all these really interesting, realistic moons.
Then we filled the molds with investment (plaster). After the investment hardened we removed the clay. This is what the glass was cast into. This mold was Becky's (our professor).
We then filled the mold with glass frit. This is my ugly color.
Then we locked them away in the kiln and impatiently awaited our precious objects!
Taa Daa!!! Ok, so the final products weren't that beautiful (at least mine weren't). So, we are going to give it another try soon. When I have something I am happy with, then I will share!

0 comments: