Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Final Snag Post

Day 4 of SNAG began with the panel Revolution/Evolution moderated by Helen Williams Drutt English, with Marianne Aav, Fritz Falk, Liesbeth den Besten. When I read the program and it called this event a "panel" I assumed it would be a discussion. It was not. Each of the speakers gave a lengthy description and historical overview of jewelry in the last 50 years...but only really up until the mid 1970's. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be, or what it could have been. I guess I was a little disappointed with this one.


Albert Paley gave a talk on his work that afternoon which was awesome. His talk was refreshing, inspiring and honestly motivating. He talked about his evolution from goldsmith to blacksmith, to making monumental sculpture and public art. It was nice to hear from someone who has been hugely successful but is still very involved in the field and has a passion for the making. I really loved hearing him speak. I also really liked seeing his sketches. Made me realize how far I have to go in that department (as well as in many other areas!!) Great talk!

The last event I attended was the Education Dialogue. I wish I had been able to stay for the whole thing but I had to catch my flight back home and only stayed for the first hour. Unfortunately the first hour was pretty much spent arguing over the definition of Craft and where metals fit in the academic world...in a crafts dept. or a fine arts dept. Not as productive of a discussion as it could have been. Maybe it was better after I left.

Overall, SNAG was an AWESOME experience. I met many people but not as many people as I wanted to. I was shy and didn't introduce myself to people I wanted to meet. That was dumb. Next year I will be smart and get some guts. I feel like I got tons out of the experience and definitely plan on going back. I may not agree with some of what is said, may not agree with the politics, and I may not like some of the speakers, but I think you get out of it what you want to. I went in with no expectations and had a genuinely wonderful time. I saw lots of great art, met lots of great people, ate lots of great food and had tons of fun. Thanks for a great time SNAG. Ill be back next year.

0 comments: