Thursday, October 23, 2008

Flora

This is a wall piece I finished a couple of weeks ago (for the Intercollegiate Metals Exhibition). It was mostly an experiment just with trying new things on the found platter pieces. This platter was pewter and really beat up. It had some really nice tarnish and history so I decided to leave its finish as is and not alter it. I embroidered a floral pattern and then tore out and ripped the thread to appear aged and worn. I'm still thinking about this piece and other directions it may lead me in, so I don't have a whole lot to say about it, but here are some images. The images aren't great...I had a really hard time capturing the details. Just use your imagination:) Oh, and it actually placed 2nd in the Holloware category at the Intercollegiate Metals Exhibition so that was exciting! Go here to see what else got awards!
Lots of little holes drilled...I am totally going to have arthritis by the time I am 30!
Embroidery before being torn.
And after the tearing...

5 comments:

megan said...

Wow! I love this!

Norsola said...

This is stunning Lynette!

emily b. said...

so beautiful. i love how rough the stitches look and how the colors are all old timey to match the aged platter.

Valerie A. Heck said...

Hi!
I wanted to make sure it was ok with you that I added a link to your blog on my blog. I love seeing your work and reading your blog!
Valerie
http://valerieaheck.blogspot.com/

Adriana said...

One day, I will commission you to make me one :) ( we just need to get through med school first :D Then I'll be able to pay$

It is GORGEOUS and I am a sucker for embroidery! I'm in love! :D