Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Heat is ON!


In the last month since I have been out of school I have been managing to stay really, really busy. I don't think I have officially announced something really big I am involved in yet, so I'm doing it now! The Society of North American Goldsmiths has an annual conference every year, and in 2012 it will be coming to Phoenix. I am Co-Chairing the conference along with Tedd and Becky McDonah and we have already had tons of work to do.
The conference usually has about 800 attendees, and SNAG has an overall membership of over 3000.
The hotel has been confirmed, our conference will take place at the Westin Kierland Hotel in Scottsdale. Mostly what we have been really busy with is securing exhibition venues. We are still in negotiations with several exhibition spaces in town, but have already secured spaces at Mesa Contemporary Arts, and the Heard North Museum. Exciting!
We also have a conference theme which is, "The Heat is On!", because the conference is in Phoenix in May. Its going to be hot! Also because of all the ways that theme can apply to the field of metalsmithing. We also secured an awesome graphic designer to brand the conference, Melissa McGurgan.
Phoenix 2012, its going to be HOT! I'm sure I'll post updates on how the conference planning is coming along, but that is all for now.

0 comments: