Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Metalworking Merit Badge

On Saturday, we at ASU Metals hosted a metalworking merit badge workshop for a local boy scout troop. It was super fun. The boys learned how to harden and temper steel and then fabricated their very own belt buckles. I made a mold for the hydraulic press so that we could make multiples and buckles with some volume, and then I made up this little sample for them so they could get an idea of what they were making...very boyscoutish don't you think? It was a one day deal, so we only had time to teach them very basic piercing and soldering. It felt so weird making something so simple and with no texture! Anyway, I think its funny.

And then, I had to make a simple little buckle that I would actually wear, so I made this one...The craftsmanship is not great but it was like a 2 hour project so I just did the essentials. It was super fun! If you want to read more about it, head on over to the ASU Metals blog!

1 comments:

Catherine Chandler said...

Lynette, those are gorgeous!
Hadn't you posted photos of the ASU photography set up where you take your photos? I couldn't find it and feel like I searched forever. I wanted to forward it to the head of dept. over here for the future campus. How nice would it be to have a set up where STUDENTS could take professional-looking photos and be able to use them without having to pay an arm and a leg every time we want to enter pieces into a jury?