Friday, September 7, 2007

I am an Endangered Species

According to National Geographic in this article, redheads are a "dying breed". It is believed that my kind will be extinct within 100 years, and even as early as 2060. Redheads surprisingly make up less than 2% of the worlds population. I also learned in the article, that "red hair was created by a genetic mutation in Northern Europe thousands of years ago." Interesting...I am a mutant. I always knew I was different... At least I am in good company! Well known redheads include Nicole Kidman, William Shakespeare, Christoper Columbus, Winston Churchill, Thomas Jefferson, Vincent Van Gogh, Mark Twain, George Washington, Billy the Kid, Axl Rose, Conan O'Brien and Queen Elizabeth I.
This article also led me to another, equally interesting wikipedia article about redheads. Here are some random facts from that article about redheads:
  • Red hair is the rarest type of natural hair color in humans.
  • Mark Twain said, "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."
  • Redheads are more sensitive to thermal pain.
  • Gingerphobia is the fear of redheads.
  • It takes two people with a recessive gene to produce a baby with red hair.
  • Scotland has the highest percentage of redheads. 13% of the population has red hair, and 40% of the population carries the recessive gene.
  • Ireland comes in second with a 10% population of redheads.
  • The U.S. is expected to have between 2%-6% of their population being redheads.
  • Besides humans, red hair can be found in orangutangs, squirrels, highland cattle, dogs, cats, fox, and deer.

So, you learned something new today, and when they add me to the endangered species list, I expect you all to come to my rescue!

3 comments:

Janalee said...

When I was a child, I had a thin streak of red in my hair. Does that count for anything good?

Catherine Chandler said...

That's funny...I nanny two redheads, and see tons of redheaded children around at the playground. Of course, they are a minority. Honestly, I've always had a weakness for redheaded men...don't know what it is but that red hair makes me swoon :)

Breanne said...

So, the question is, does Scott have any redheaded recessive genes? Will there be little Andreasen redheads running around. Let's hope so :)